Warm salted caramel sauce with vanilla ice cream
- March 2010
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 minutes
A scoop or two of simple vanilla ice cream is made even more indulgent with the addition of a salted caramel sauce.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 78.6g (44.2g saturated)
- 61.8g (58.6g sugars)
- 100g butter
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 75g golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt (we like Maldon sea salt, from major supermarkets)
- 300ml double cream
- 60g caster sugar
- 50g pecan halves, toasted
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Put the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, vanilla and salt into a small saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Stir in the cream and bubble for 5 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Scatter the caster sugar over the surface of a non-stick frying pan. Place over a medium heat and allow to melt (without stirring), shaking the pan until all the sugar has melted and turned golden brown. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, add the pecans and toss in the caramel until coated. Tip onto a lightly oiled sheet of foil, leave to cool, then break into pieces.
- To serve, place scoops of ice cream into 4 bowls, pour over the warm caramel sauce and scatter with the caramelised pecans.
This is a perfect dessert to follow Stuffed tarragon chicken with cannellini bean stew served with Buttered cabbage and leeks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Frozen dessert recipes
‘Feast’ truffle bombes with chocolate hazelnut sauce
Recreate the classic Feast ice cream with these amazing chocolate ice cream truffle bombes, served...
Dairy-free orange ice cream
Soya custard and cream create a rich texture that’s perfect for ice cream, this recipe...