Warm salted caramel sauce with vanilla ice cream
- March 2010
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 minutes
A scoop or two of simple vanilla ice cream is made even more indulgent with the addition of a salted caramel sauce.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 78.6g (44.2g saturated)
- 61.8g (58.6g sugars)
- 100g butter
- 75g soft light brown sugar
- 75g golden syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt (we like Maldon sea salt, from major supermarkets)
- 300ml double cream
- 60g caster sugar
- 50g pecan halves, toasted
Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Put the butter, brown sugar, golden syrup, vanilla and salt into a small saucepan and melt over a medium heat. Stir in the cream and bubble for 5 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Scatter the caster sugar over the surface of a non-stick frying pan. Place over a medium heat and allow to melt (without stirring), shaking the pan until all the sugar has melted and turned golden brown. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, add the pecans and toss in the caramel until coated. Tip onto a lightly oiled sheet of foil, leave to cool, then break into pieces.
- To serve, place scoops of ice cream into 4 bowls, pour over the warm caramel sauce and scatter with the caramelised pecans.
This is a perfect dessert to follow Stuffed tarragon chicken with cannellini bean stew served with Buttered cabbage and leeks.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Peanut butter recipes
Cheat’s banana and peanut butter cheesecake ice cream
If your bananas have gone black, don’t throw them away! Peel them, chop into pieces...
Chocolate ice cream cake
This impressive chocolate ice cream cake is a rich, melt-in-your-mouth frozen tasty treat.