Aubergine milanese with spaghetti
- August 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Slices of aubergine are coated in a cheesy panko crumb then fried until golden, and served with spaghetti in a rich tomato sauce, in this speedy Mediterranean recipe.
Check out this vegetarian spin on the classic puttanesca for another delicious meat-free alternative.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.8g (4.6g saturated)
- 94.6g (10.2 sugars)
- Olive oil for frying and drizzling
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 75g plain flour
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 50g grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- 2 large aubergines, sliced into 1cm rounds
- 300g spaghetti
- Fresh basil leaves to serve
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 6 minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more, then pour in the tomatoes and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Taste and season.
- Meanwhile, put the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow bowls, then stir the parmesan into the crumbs. Dip the aubergine slices first into the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Heat a glug of oil in another frying pan and fry the aubergine slices for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Drain on kitchen paper and season lightly with salt.
- Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions. Drain, return to the pan and toss with a drizzle of oil, then stir in the tomato sauce. Serve in bowls topped with the aubergine slices and basil leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...