- July 2018
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 15 mins, oven time 1 hour, plus cooling and draining
To really amp up the flavour of this Middle Eastern dip, char the aubergines on the barbecue for extra smokiness.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 21.1g (3.2g saturated)
- 8.9g (7.9g sugars)
- no salt
- 2 large aubergines
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for roasting
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped or grated
- Juice ½ lemon
- 3 fresh parsley sprigs, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve
- 2 tsp tahini (optional)
- Heat the oven to 240°C/220°C fan/gas 9 or its highest setting. Rub the aubergines all over with oil, then put on a baking sheet. Roast, turning every 15 minutes, for 45-60 minutes or until they’ve collapsed and the skin has charred and blackened (see tip).
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut them in half, scoop out the flesh (discard the skins) and put into a sieve to drain for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, add the remaining ingredients with some salt and pepper, then combine with a fork, gently breaking up the aubergine. Serve sprinkled with parsley as part of a mezze, or as a dip with pitta chips.
Make up to 24 hours ahead, cover and chill. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before serving.
The aubergines can be cooked on a barbecue or over a gas flame on the hob for smoky flavour.
Ripe, juicy Australian or Chilean rosé.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...