Bacon, leek and cheddar tart
- January 2014
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min. Oven time 25-30 min
This tart makes the best use of clever time-saving ingredients for a tasty mid-week meal. Combine cabbage, bacon and cheddar to create a delicious tart, packed with flavour, quickly and easily.
- 50g Sainsbury’s ready-sliced cabbage and leek, or similar
- 60g Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference oak smoked outdoor bread bacon lardons, or similar
- 50g Sainsbury’s Organic mature grated cheddar, or similar
- 320g ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 100ml double cream
- Handful of fresh tarragon leaves, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and put a baking sheet in to heat. Unroll the shortcrust pastry and use to line a 4cm deep 18cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tin. Trim off and discard any excess pastry by running a rolling pin over the edges of the tin. Line with a crumpled sheet of baking paper, then fill with baking beans or rice.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the beans/rice and paper and bake for 5 minutes until the case is golden and cooked. Remove and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4.
- Meanwhile, cook the cabbage and leek in freshly boiled water for 3 minutes, then drain well. Heat a dry pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the lardons for 5-10 minutes until crisp. Mix in the cabbage and leek.
- Whisk the eggs, cream, cheddar and tarragon in a bowl and season well. Scatter the bacon, cabbage and leek mixture in the tart case, then pour over the egg mixture. Ensure the filling is evenly distributed, then bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and cooked through. Remove from the tart tin onto a board to serve.
Next time why not mix 1 heaped tsp English mustard through the egg mixture and add a handful of chopped spring onion.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...