Baileys cream brownies with hazelnut meringue
- Baileys promotion recipe
- Makes 18
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, cook time 2 hours 20 minutes
We’ve topped fudgy chocolate brownies with Baileys cream and hazelnut meringue shards in this knockout boozy dessert – everyone will go mad for it.
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped, plus extra for greasing
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 400g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 185g plain flour, sifted
For the meringue shards
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 125g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
For the Baileys cream
- 250ml double cream
- 5 tbsp (1.3 units) Baileys Original Irish Cream
- Heat oven to 120ºC/fan100ºC/gas ¼. To make the meringue shards, grease a deep 23x23cm square cake tin with butter and line with baking paper. Whisk the egg whites in a standing mixer with the whisk attachment until stiff. Spoon the sugar in, one spoonful at a time. Pour in the hazelnuts and mix again. When the mixture is stiff and glossy, spread over the baking paper so its about 1cm thick. Bake for 90 minutes until crisp. Remove and once cool, break into shards.
- Heat oven to 180ºC/fan160ºC/gas 6. Melt the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, or in the microwave for 1 min. Stir until smooth then remove from the heat, add the sugar, eggs and vanilla and stir until combined. Add the flour and a pinch of salt and mix in. Pour into a baking tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre. Allow to completely cool in the tin then turn onto a chopping board. Remove the baking paper and cut into squares.
- To make the Baileys cream, whisk the cream with the Baileys Original Irish Cream in a bowl. To serve, put the brownies onto plates, top with a large dollop of the Baileys cream and then insert a few meringue shards into the cream.
Rate & review