Baked egg with crab and cayenne
- April 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Make the most of seasonal crab with this creamy baked egg recipe. Topped with breadcrumbs and parmesan, it makes for a decadent brunch or dinner.
We’ve included a video to show you how to prepare fresh crab.
- 23.1g (9.9g saturated)
- 30g (2.5g sugars)
- 40g unsalted butter
- 4 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 2 good tbsp plain flour
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 500ml fresh fish stock
- 50ml double cream
- 200g mixed crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Parmesan to sprinkle (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the shallots to the pan, frying for 3-4 minutes until softened but not coloured. Stir through the flour with the cayenne pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and the cream, bring to a rolling boil and reduce for a few minutes until the mixture thickly coats the back of a spoon. Stir through the crabmeat and the lemon juice. Taste and season well.
- Divide among individual pie or gratin dishes, then crack the eggs – one per dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over each dish, then grate parmesan over (optional). Make sure the yolks are covered. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, then remove and rest for 1 minute before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Whisky-cured sea trout on cream cheese and pumpernickel with apple salad
A wonderful do-ahead recipe. The curing flavours also work well with salmon if you prefer.
Buttered sea trout and prawn pots with dill and soda bread toast
A sea trout and prawn pot recipe, topped with butter and served individually with crispy...