Baked egg with crab and cayenne
- April 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Make the most of seasonal crab with this creamy baked egg recipe. Topped with breadcrumbs and parmesan, it makes for a decadent brunch or dinner.
We’ve included a video to show you how to prepare fresh crab.
- 23.1g (9.9g saturated)
- 30g (2.5g sugars)
- 40g unsalted butter
- 4 banana shallots, finely sliced
- 2 good tbsp plain flour
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
- 500ml fresh fish stock
- 50ml double cream
- 200g mixed crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Parmesan to sprinkle (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the shallots to the pan, frying for 3-4 minutes until softened but not coloured. Stir through the flour with the cayenne pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and the cream, bring to a rolling boil and reduce for a few minutes until the mixture thickly coats the back of a spoon. Stir through the crabmeat and the lemon juice. Taste and season well.
- Divide among individual pie or gratin dishes, then crack the eggs – one per dish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over each dish, then grate parmesan over (optional). Make sure the yolks are covered. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes, then remove and rest for 1 minute before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked eggs and peppers
Based on North African dish shakshuka, this is a feel good breakfast recipe that’s comforting...
Smoked salmon recipes
Eggs en cocotte with hot-smoked salmon, leeks and peas
This French recipe for baked eggs makes a light and easy dinner. It’s equally good...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...