Barbecued leg of lamb with tomato and mint salsa
- June 2005
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 15 mins, cook time 40-50 mins, plus overnight marinating
The punchy marinade in this barbecue lamb recipe starts the tenderising process so that the boned and butterflied meat will cook reasonably quickly on the barbie.
If you’ve got a shoulder of lamb, try this barbecue recipe from Valentine Warner.
- 19.1g (0.6g saturated)
- 7.6g (6.3g sugars)
- 1.3-1.5kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 shallots, halved
- Few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 3 bay leaves
- Few sprigs of fresh oregano
- 375ml red wine
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
For the tomato and mint salsa
- 6 ripe plum or vine tomatoes
- Small bunch of fresh mint, leaves picked
- Good pinch of caster sugar
- Bunch of spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Put the lamb into a large freezer bag, then add the garlic, shallots and herbs. Holding the bag carefully, pour in the wine, then seal and put into a container in the fridge. If you have time, leave to marinate for 24 hours – or 48 hours for an intense flavour.
- A few hours before you want to eat, make the salsa. Cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out the seeds and discard. Roughly dice the flesh and put into a bowl. Roughly chop the mint leaves and add to the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the sugar, then add the onions, garlic, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Toss well, then set aside to let the flavours develop.
- Take the lamb out of the marinade and discard the marinade. Brush the cooking grate with oil. Barbecue the lamb over a direct medium heat for 20-30 minutes, turning once. This will give you a medium-cooked meat. If you like your lamb rare, reduce the cooking time by about 5 minutes. Leave to rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with the salsa.
A butterflied joint of meat has had the bones removed and the meat opened up and cut so that it exposes similar thicknesses of meat to the heat. Ask the butcher, or buy ready prepared boned and butterflied leg of lamb. The process is quite time-consuming.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast lamb leg recipes
Grilled leg of lamb with goat’s cheese and herb salad
A showstopper butterflied leg of lamb recipe – served with...
Roast lamb leg recipes
Swedish roast leg of lamb with anchovies and potato gratin
This lip-smacking Scandinavian roast lamb with potato gratin works nicely...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter