- September 2010
- Serves 8
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook
This simple barbecued seafood recipe – with prawns, squid and scallops – makes a beautiful starter for eight people.
Looking for something a little simpler? Try our barbecued prawns served with garlic butter.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 9.7g (1.4g saturated)
- 8.1g (6.4g sugar)
- 2 garlic bulbs, roasted until golden, flesh squeezed out
- Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
For the prawns
- 50g honey
- 20g grated fresh ginger
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- 16 tiger prawns, peeled (leaving the tails on) and deveined
For the squid
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 squid tubes, cleaned and cut into 1cm thick rings
For the scallops
- 8 large (or 16 small) scallops, each cut into 2 discs
- Olive oil for brushing
- Lemon juice for brushing
- Light the barbecue, if using. Mix the roasted garlic flesh, lime zest and juice with the sugar until smooth. Gently warm the extra-virgin olive oil in a pan, then add the garlic mixture. Stir, then pour into a bowl, cover with cling film and set aside.
- For the prawns, mix the honey, ginger, vinegar and paprika in a small pan and simmer gently for 4 minutes until it forms a syrupy sweet-and-sour sauce. Remove from the heat and add the coriander. Thread the prawns onto skewers (see tips), coat with the sauce and set aside.
- If you’re not using a barbecue, preheat a griddle to medium-high. For the squid, mix the chilli, garlic, sugar and lime juice. Set aside.
- Griddle or barbecue the prawns for 1 minute on each side. Wrap in foil and keep warm. Coat the squid with the marinade, then char quickly, for less than 1 minute on each side.
- Give the sliced scallops a brush of oil and a sprinkle of sea salt and grill for 30 seconds on each side. Remove and brush with lemon juice. Arrange the seafood on a large warmed platter and serve immediately with the garlic and lime dressing.
Cook this on a barbecue or medium-hot griddle.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes beforehand.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Scallops with lemon, basil and chilli brown butter
We used delicious. Produce Award-winning scallops, from The Ethical Shellfish Company, to create this simple...