Battered squid, scallops and prawns
- January 2006
- 1 litre inexpensive olive oil
- 175g prepared squid
- 175g prepared scallops, sliced horizontally into 2 discs
- 16 large raw prawns, peeled, with tail shells left on
- 50-75g plain flour, seasoned
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Line a large baking tray with plenty of kitchen paper.
- Pour the olive oil into a large saucepan or deep-fat fryer and heat to 190°C. To test the temperature, add a cube of bread to the pan. At 190°C, it will brown in 30 seconds.
- Cut the squid pouches across into rings and separate the tentacles into pairs. Season the fish lightly with salt.
- Toss the seafood, a few pieces at a time, in the seasoned flour and deep-fry, in batches, for 1 minute until crisp and lightly golden. Use a slotted spoon to lift onto the paper-lined tray to drain and keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest. Serve with the lemon wedges.
Rate & review