Crispy squid with harissa mayonnaise
- July 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus chilling
A beautifully light and summery tapas recipe of crispy squid, pickled green beans and harissa mayo is perfect for casual get-togethers.
- 34g (5.2g saturated)
- 16.6g (5.8g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 75g potato starch or potato flour (we used Rakusen’s, from Waitrose and Ocado)
- 500g fresh squid, cleaned (ask your fishmonger to do this), body sliced into rings, tentacles trimmed
For the pickled beans
- 350ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 120-150g caster sugar to taste
- 150g runner beans, strings removed, cut into 6cm batons
- 120g green beans, topped
- 150g cucumber, seeds removed, cut into 6cm batons
- Handful fresh dill, roughly chopped
For the harissa mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 100g good quality mayonnaise
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 tsp harissa paste (we use Belazu, widely available)
You’ll also need
- Digital thermometer
- For the pickled beans, combine the vinegar, sea salt and 120g caster sugar in a large bowl. Add the 2 kinds of beans, cucumber and dill, then cover with cling film and chill for at least 3 hours or until crunchy and tangy – the longer you wait, the better the flavour. Taste after a couple of hours – you may need to add a little more sugar.
- For the mayonnaise, whisk all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Season to taste.
- For the squid, heat about 10cm oil in a large pan until it reaches 190C on a digital thermometer. Put the potato starch or flour in a large bowl and season well. Drop in the squid and massage with the flour until well coated. Fry, in batches so as not to crowd the pan, for 2-3 minutes until pale golden, then drain briefly on kitchen paper. Serve with the pickled beans and mayonnaise for dipping.
The pickled veg will keep in the fridge, submerged in the vinegar mixture in an airtight container, for up to a week.
The mayo will keep in a container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Please note: contains raw egg
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter