Carrot and ginger bhajis with coriander dip
- January 2014
- Serves 6 (makes 12 bhajis)
- Hands-on time 20 min
These carrot and ginger vegetable bhajis make a delicious vegetarian nibble or starter as part of an Indian sharing menu,
Or try our classic onion bhajis.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 15.3g (2.6g saturated)
- 15.1g (6.5g sugars)
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 50g piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 100g gram (chickpea) flour, from the world food aisle of major supermarkets (see tips)
- ½ large red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Juice of a lime
- 1 tsp nigella seeds (also known as kalonji)
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Sunflower oil for deep-frying
- 300g carrots, grated
For the dip
- Bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 150g natural yogurt
- Mix all the bhaji ingredients except the oil and carrots in a bowl to make a thick batter. Heat a pan with a 2cm layer of oil over a medium-high heat until it starts to shimmer. Mix the carrots through the batter until well combined, then press the mix in your hands to form 12 balls (roughly 50g each – see tip).
- Lower the balls into the hot oil with a spoon and press down lightly with the back of the spoon into a patty. Fry in batches for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon onto kitchen towel to drain off excess oil.
- Meanwhile, mix the dip ingredients and season. Serve with the bhajis.
You can use plain flour instead of gram flour.
Add the carrots to the batter just before you fry, or their moisture might make the batter watery.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Courgette bhajis with salad and buttermilk dressing
Try our moreish bhaji recipe made with Indian spicing – a great way to use...
Carrot, onion and spinach bhajis
This delightful Indian bhaji recipe is best served with your favourite chutneys.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...