Cheat’s leek and blue cheese filo tartlets
- April 2010
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 min to make, 20 min to cook
You can try this impressive-looking cheesy vegetarian tart recipe with shortcrust pastry, if you like. A simple side salad is all you need to go with it.
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- Small handful thyme leaves
- 1 large free-range egg
- 50ml double cream
- 2 large sheets filo pastry
- 2 heaped tbsp caramelised onions
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- 30g vegetarian blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. In a frying pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter, then add the leek and fry for 3 minutes until softened. Add the thyme, cook for a further 2 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a jug, mix the egg and cream together, season and set aside.
- Cut the sheets of filo into 8 pieces and brush the tops with melted butter. Grease 2 x 10cm loose-bottomed tartlet tins with melted butter, then layer the buttered filo in each so that the filo creates a star shape and comes up the sides to make a nest.
- Spoon the caramelised onions into the base, top with the sautéed leek, toasted pine nuts and blue cheese. Pour the egg mix over the top and pop in the oven for 15 minutes until the pastry is golden and crisp and the filling is just set.
- Remove carefully from the tins and serve with a simple green salad.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter