Cheddar, pancetta and spring onion muffins
- August 2010
- Serves 14
- Takes 20 min to make, 20 min to cook
These cheesy muffins are perfect for keeping the guests (and the cook) happy while other dishes are being prepared. Serve them for brunch or afternoon tea.
- 10.9g (3.2g saturated)
- 20.4g (2.7g sugar)
- 360g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 300ml buttermilk
- 100g pancetta, finely diced
- 80g mature Cheddar, diced, plus extra, grated, to sprinkle
- 5 spring onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Line two muffin trays with 14 paper cases (or a mini muffin tray with 24 small cases). Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Whisk together the oil, eggs and buttermilk, then fold into the flour. Fold in the pancetta, Cheddar and spring onion. Don’t over-mix.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin cases. Sprinkle over the extra grated Cheddar, then bake for 18-20 minutes until risen, golden and springy to the touch. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter