Chicken liver and Madeira parfait
- October 2008
- for 4 people
- Takes 25 minutes to make, plus chilling
This chicken liver and Madeira parfait recipe only takes 25 minutes to make. Serve with gherkins and crusty bread.
- Gluten-free recipes
Per serving: 267kcals, 16.9g fat (9.9g saturated), 22.6g protein, 0.9g carbs, 0.8g sugar, 0.8g salt
- 500g free-range chicken livers (from butchers)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Good pinch of four spice mix (sometimes sold as quatre-épices, from seasonedpioneers.co.uk)
- 1 tbsp duck fat or softened butter
- 50ml Madeira wine
- 1 tbsp brandy
- ½ medium free-range egg yolk
- 50g cold butter, finely cut up
- Trim and clean the chicken livers (or ask your butcher to do it). Toss in the salt, pepper and four spice mix on a plate. Heat the fat in a pan. When hot, fry the livers for 1 minute on either side. Remove to a bowl with a slotted spoon and deglaze the pan with the Madeira and brandy. It will probably flambé a bit, so stand back!
- Pour the juices over the livers, then purée in a food processor. Add the egg yolk and butter and blitz again until very smooth. Check the seasoning. You might want more salt or pepper. Don’t add any more booze. Chill it in a storage box or terrine mould until set. If serving as a starter, serve on toast with some cornichons.
Note: this recipe contains raw egg.
Rate & review