Chicken schnitzel with spiced rice
- April 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
This fabulous midweek supper dish includes enough ingredients and inspirational ideas for a packed lunch the next day too
- 7.2g (2.6g saturated)
- 55.2g (0.2g sugars)
- 5 free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 40g plain flour, seasoned
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 90g quick-cook polenta
- 45g parmesan, finely grated
- 1-2 tsp chilli flakes (to taste)
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 300g basmati rice, rinsed well
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Put the chicken breasts between cling film sheets and bash out with a rolling pin to about twice their original size. Put the seasoned flour, beaten egg and polenta mixed with the parmesan in 3 bowls. Dust the chicken in the flour, then dip in the egg and finally coat with the cheesy polenta. Put on a lined tray and chill for 10 minutes.
- Toast the spices in a dry frying pan until fragrant. Put the rice in a pan with the chicken stock, 150ml water and the toasted spices, then season. Bring to the boil, then simmer gently for 5 minutes. Cover and cook over a low heat for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and leave covered.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan, then brown the chicken in batches (with the rest of the oil) for 3 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. Stir the coriander through the rice (reserve a third for lunch the next day) and serve with 4 of the chicken schnitzels.
Your next-day lunchbox:
Cook 50g halved green beans for 3 minutes in boiling salted water. Drain, then refresh under cold running water. Slice the reserved schnitzel and mix into the leftover spiced rice with the beans. Chill overnight. The next day, squeeze over 1 lime, add a drizzle of olive oil, some sliced spring onions and fresh shredded mint.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...