Chocolate and caramel Easter cake
- April 2006
- Serves 8-10
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to bake, plus cooling and chilling
This Easter, try baking our indulgent Easter cake recipe made with dark chocolate, dulce de leche caramel and mini eggs.
Or, take a leaf out of Martha Collison’s Easter playbook and make her triple-chocolate Easter nest cake.
- 49.7g (26.3g saturated)
- 55.6g (44.1g sugars)
For 10 servings
- 175g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 250g plain chocolate, broken up
- 75ml Disaronno Amaretto liqueur
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 125g self-raising flour
- 125g ground almonds
For the filling and decoration
- 284ml double cream
- 5 tbsp dulce de leche toffee
- Icing sugar, to dust
- About 18 Cadbury’s Mini Eggs
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Grease and base line 2 x 18cm round sandwich cake tins with baking paper.
- Put the chocolate and liqueur into a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and leave until melted – don’t let the bowl touch the water. Remove from the heat and stir lightly to just mix together.
- Meanwhile, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, adding a little flour to stop the mixture from curdling. Sift in the remaining flour, add the almonds and the melted chocolate and gently fold together until just combined. Divide evenly between the tins, levelling the surfaces. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 15 minutes in the tins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling. Whip the cream to soft peaks. Put 1 cake, flat side up, on a plate and spread with the dulce de leche almost to the edge, then top with the cream in big spoonfuls. Sandwich with the other cake. Chill for about 40 minutes to firm up the cream and make it easy to cut. Dredge with icing sugar and decorate with the chocolate eggs and mint leaves. Cut with a serrated knife.
Rate & review