The delicious Easter cake
- April 2004
- 375g softened, unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 375g golden caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- 375g ground almonds
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 5 large organic eggs
- 200g hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 8 tbsp Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur)
- 300g good-quality white chocolate
- 50g unsalted butter
- 250g white marzipan
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Mini chocolate eggs, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Grease and line a 23cm round cake tin with non-stick baking paper. In a large bowl beat the butter, sugar and orange zest together until light and fluffy. Stir in the ground almonds and mixed spice. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Fold in the hazelnuts, flour, baking powder and the hazelnut liqueur until smooth. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour, then cover with foil and bake for a further 50 minutes or until a metal skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until just smooth, but don’t overbeat. Spread all over the top and sides of the cake with a palette knife and leave to set.
- Roll out the marzipan on a surface lightly dusted with icing sugar large enough to cover the whole cake. Roll up on a rolling pin, then unroll over the cake and press lightly into the sides and trim neatly. Decorate with sugar-coated chocolate eggs in pretty colours and a big ribbon.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Simnel cake recipes
Sour cherry and chocolate simnel cake with hazelnut marzipan
For a modern twist on a classic Easter cake, try this chocolate simnel cake by...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...