Chocolate banana upside-down cake
- January 2014
- Serves 12
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 45-50 minutes, plus cooling
Chocolate and banana is a classic comfort combination and this cake, with a caramelised banana topping, is certain to raise anyone’s spirits.
- 23.5g (13.9g saturated)
- 63.4g (43.6g sugars)
- 200g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 150g dark chocolate chips
- 120ml whole milk
For the caramel and banana topping
- 50g unsalted butter
- 70g soft light brown sugar
- 70ml maple syrup
- 4-5 just ripe bananas, sliced in half lengthways
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and grease a 23cm springform cake tin. To make the topping, put the 50g butter, brown sugar and maple syrup in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook at a gentle simmer, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the syrup is thick and golden. Pour the syrup into the cake tin. Arrange the sliced bananas, cut-side down, over the base of the tin.
- Put the 200g butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift in the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt, then gently fold through the mixture with a large wooden spoon. Mix in the mashed bananas, chocolate chips and enough milk to reach a dropping consistency – the mixture should drop heavily from the spoon when lifted (you may not need to use all the milk). Dollop the batter evenly over the bananas and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Put the cake on a baking tray (see tip), then bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden on top and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes to cool slightly, then invert onto a large serving plate. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream as a pudding, or cool with a cup of tea or coffee.
Be sure to bake this cake with a baking tray underneath it, as some of the syrup may leak out from the tin.
Make the caramel and banana topping up to 24 hours in advance, then cool, cover and chill in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...