Chocolate-coated flower creams
- November 2019
- Makes 25-30
- Hands-on time 45 min, plus overnight setting and chilling
Looking for an edible gift to give this Christmas? Take a look at these gorgeous chocolate-covered flower creams; dark on the outside and sweet and soft on the inside, they’re simple to make yet look seriously impressive.
Take a look at the rest of our edible Christmas gift ideas for more inspiration.
- 3.1g (1.7g saturated)
- 15.7g (15.6g sugars)
- trace salt
- 25-30 edible flowers, fresh or dried, for decoration (from Sainsbury’s and Ocado)
- 1 free-range egg white
- 50g caster sugar
- 50ml double cream
- 2 tbsp flavouring: violet syrup, rose water or orange blossom water
- 300g icing sugar
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp flavourless vegetable oil (such as sunflower oil)
You’ll also need…
- Cooling rack; pastry brush; baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper; toothpick; gift bags
- To crystallise the flowers, lay them out on the cooling rack. Whisk the egg white in a small, clean mixing bowl until foamy, then gently brush each flower with it using a pastry brush. Gently dust the flowers with caster sugar, then leave to harden. This will take a few hours but overnight is best.
- Put the double cream in a bowl and stir in your chosen flavouring. Sift in the icing sugar, stirring until smooth and thick. Cover and chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours until the fondant has a rollable consistency. Using
a teaspoon, shape the mixture into 25-30 small balls. Put them on the lined baking sheet, then chill in the freezer until firm (15-20 minutes).
- Put the chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water (don’t let the base of the bowl touch the water). Warm, stirring, until fully melted, then remove and set aside for 10 minutes to cool a little.
- Once the chocolate has cooled, remove the fondant balls from the freezer and dip each into the chocolate (pierce the fondant with a toothpick to make them easier to handle). Transfer to a cooling rack or a tray lined with non-stick baking paper, as you go. When all the balls are coated in chocolate, top each with edible or crystallised flowers before the chocolate sets, then leave somewhere cool to set fully.
The decorated creams will keep, well sealed, for up to a week. Either put one, wrapped in cellophane, per Advent pocket or pack in mini bags to give away, adding an eat-by date.
Rate & review