Cocktail cheese bites
- January 2006
- Vegetable or sunflower oil, for deep frying
- 1 pack Discover Mozzarella, cut into 16 cubes
- 1 pack Discover Haloumi, cut into 16 cubes
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 200g breadcrumbs or Panko crumbs (from good Chinese grocers or www.mountfuji.co.uk)
- 10 slices prosciutto di Parma
- 2 packs Discover Mozzarella Slices (20 slices)
- 40 fresh basil leaves
- Fill a large, deep saucepan about two-thirds full of oil and heat the oil to 190C (check the temperature: a cube of bread will brown in 30 seconds). Dust the mozzarella and haloumi cubes with flour. Shake off the excess and dip into the beaten egg, then into the breadcrumbs. Carefully transfer to the hot oil and fry until the crumbs are golden (about 30 seconds). Remove with a slotted spoon. Skewer with cocktail sticks and serve while the cheese is still soft.
- Preheat the oven to 220C/fan200C/gas 7. Cut each slice of prosciutto in half lengthways. Roll up each slice of mozzarella, wrap with a piece of prosciutto and lay on a foil-lined tray. Just before serving, pop into the oven for 30 seconds (no more or the cheese will melt rather than warm and soften). Push a fresh basil leaf into each end and serve right away.
You’ll need 32 cocktail sticks for this recipe.
Rate & review