- June 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, plus at least 4 hours pickling
These crab buns are perfect for a picnic. Make the buns the night before to give the veg time to pickle.
- 25.3g (6.8g saturated)
- 61.7g (25.6g sugars)
For the crab mayonnaise
- 1 free-range egg yolk
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 75ml groundnut oil
- Juice ½ lemon
- 200g white crabmeat and 100g brown crabmeat (from larger supermarkets or fishmongers or see our how-to video below)
For the pickle
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 75g caster sugar
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 shallot, very thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into long matchsticks
- 50g radishes, thinly sliced
- 50g samphire (available from June in supermarkets), washed, any tough bits discarded
- 4 large crusty buns
- Unsalted butter, softened
- 40g fresh coriander leaves
- For the mayo, whisk the egg yolk, garlic and mustard briefly, then gradually whisk in the oil. Once it’s thick, whisk in the lemon juice, then stir in the crabmeat. Loosen with a little water if you like. Season, cover, and store in the fridge.
- For the pickle, whisk the vinegar, sugar and salt to dissolve. Stir in the other ingredients, then leave to pickle for at least 4 hours.
- For a picnic, butter 4 crusty rolls and wrap in cling film. Put the crab, pickle and fresh coriander in jars or tubs, then pack in a cool bag.
Please note: contains raw egg
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter