- August 2009
- Serves 4
- Takes 40 min to make, 30-40 min to cook, plus freezing and cooking from frozen
Make a batch of these crab pasties and freeze half, ready to be popped in the oven for quick, easy dinner another time.
- 51.8g (17.8g saturated)
- 69.8g (3.5g sugar)
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 5 small shallots, finely diced
- 250g leeks (about 3-4), thinly sliced
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons, plus extra wedges to serve
- 150g full-fat crème fraîche
- 600g cooked white crabmeat (see our how-to video below)
- 90g white breadcrumbs
- Bunch of fresh chives, snipped
- 1kg shortcrust or puff pastry
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly whisked
- Add the saffron to a bowl with 1 tbsp boiling water. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Gently heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the shallots and leeks and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Tip into a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and juice and set aside to cool. Stir the cooled saffron water into the crème fraîche.
- Add the crabmeat, breadcrumbs, chives and saffron cream to the large bowl. Season.
- Roll out the pastry to 3mm thick and cut out 8 x 18cm circles (re-rolling if needed). Divide the mix between them, leaving a 1cm edge brushed with egg. Crimp together each pasty, then brush with the rest of the egg.
- Bake 4 pasties on a tray lined with baking paper for 20-30 minutes until golden. Serve warm with a green salad and lemon wedges.
- Open-freeze (see freezing notes, overleaf) the other 4 pasties, then put in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen at 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 for 40 minutes.
Open-freezing the pasties stops them freezing in a block. Freeze on a lined tray until solid, then put into a bag or box. Pastry is great cooked from frozen. Be sure to give it a little more time in the oven until the centre of the food is piping hot
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...