- 145g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200g plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 100ml freshly made strong coffee
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 85g plain flour
For the marbling mixture
- 150g cream cheese
- 60g caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Butter and line a 20cm square tin.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a large bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir in the coffee, remove and cool slightly.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt, then whisk in the eggs and beat until smooth. Add the flour and carry on beating until glossy. Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth, then stir in the sugar, egg and vanilla.
- Spoon the dark mixture into the tin, then add the cheese mixture and use a knife to create marbling.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. Allow to cool on a rack, then cut into squares.