Cream of mushroom soup
- January 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 8-10 min
If you’re on the lookout for the ultimate classic soup recipe, this cream of mushroom soup hits the spot every time. It’s also an easy veggie meal to make for a winter’s lunch at home.
Alternatively, throw together this smooth, soothing and seasonal sweet potato soup topped with toasted pumpkin seeds and garlic croûtes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 22.1g fat (13.3g saturated)
- 6.4g protein
- 3.5g carbs (2.8g sugars)
- 1.9g fibre
- 0.2g salt
- 35g butter
- Splash olive oil
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
- 250g mixed wild mushrooms, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 100ml double cream
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon, plus chopped herbs of your choice (optional) to garnish
You’ll also need
- Stick blender
- Heat the butter and oil in a large deep frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and mushrooms and fry for 5-6 minutes until starting to soften. Increase the heat to high and fry for 10 minutes more until golden.
- Add the garlic and fry for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly. Use a stick blender to whizz the soup to a smooth consistency (see Make Ahead).
- Heat the soup until piping hot, stir in the cream and herbs and season. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the herbs. (Alternatively, transfer to a Thermos and seal tightly. Put some chopped herbs in a small sealed container, if you like. Pour the soup into mugs and, if using, sprinkle with herbs to serve.)
This recipe is easily doubled if you’re serving more people.
The whizzed, cooled soup will keep covered and chilled for up to 3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Celeriac and apple soup with girolle mushrooms and cheesy toasts
This autumnal soup recipe uses seasonal ingredients such as celeriac, apple and mushrooms to make...