Creamy chicken in white sauce
- October 2008
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Knob of butter, plus extra 3 tbsp, softened
- 16 boneless chicken thighs or 8 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml dry white wine
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- Leaves from 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 700ml chicken stock, hot
- 75ml double cream
- Heat the vegetable oil and knob of butter in a large, deep frying pan or flameproof casserole. Season the chicken pieces and fry, in batches, over a medium-high heat, until lightly browned. Remove the chicken to a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion to the pan and fry gently, without colouring, until softened. Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add the wine and herbs, then cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bubble over a high heat until the liquid is reduced to about 1 tablespoon. Add to the bowl with the cooked chicken.
- Add the extra 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt. Add the flour and stir well to make a paste. Cook for 5 minutes, until a pale golden colour. Gradually add the hot stock, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Return the chicken and onions to the pan. Cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes, then add the double cream. Check the seasoning. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, divide the creamy chicken between 3 freezer bags or freezerproof containers, label and freeze. Now you have your base for one of the following recipes: chicken a la king; chicken, mushroom and spinach pasta bake; or chicken, pea and bacon pies.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cider chicken with creamy mushroom and anchovy sauce
Try this hearty creamy chicken recipe made with cider, mushrooms, anchovies and double cream.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...