Creamy sausage pasta with watercress and chestnut pesto
- October 2013
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook
Our speedy sausage pasta recipe, with chestnuts and watercress, serves two people and uses shortcut ingredients to make midweek cooking easy.
Prefer a pasta bake? Take a look at this knockout sausage and fennel pasta bake recipe.
- 75g Tesco Finest whole chestnuts, or similar
- 2 x 85g Tesco washed & ready to eat watercress, roughly chopped, or similar
- 200g fresh penne, or similar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 25g parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, plus extra to serve
- Olive oil for frying
- 3 free-range British pork sausages (about 200g), skins removed
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- In a food processor, briefly whizz the chestnuts, garlic, parmesan and basil. Add the watercress and whizz again to a crumbly pesto.
- Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then add the meat from the sausages. Fry for 5 minutes until golden, breaking up any lumps with a wooden spoon. Stir in the cream and simmer, then stir through the pesto and the red wine vinegar. Taste and season.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the fresh penne. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until al dente, or according to pack instructions, then drain, reserving a little of the pasta water. Stir the pasta into the sauce along with the reserved pasta water, then serve sprinkled with extra grated parmesan and a few basil leaves.
Next time… Stir the pesto through cooked penne, transfer to casserole, top with mozzarella, then bake for 10 minutes until melted.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick spicy beef and chestnut pasta
Introduce the earthy, seasonal flavour of chestnuts to this meaty sauce. You can make this...
Goat's cheese recipes
Pappardelle with goat’s cheese, chestnuts, sage and pancetta
Pasta makes the perfect shortcut supper and this pappardelle and goat’s cheese recipe, made with...