Freeze-ahead roast potatoes
- Online only
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 20 mins, oven time 1 hour 15 mins, plus freezing
Get ahead and save time when planning a big roast dinner by prepping and freezing your spuds in advance. This freezable roast potato recipe makes perfectly cooked and crispy tatties every time.
Would you rather keep stress to a minimum on Christmas day? We’ve got plenty more make-ahead sides too.
- 2kg potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 5 tbsp duck or goose fat or sunflower oil
- Put the potatoes in a pan of well-salted boiling water and cook at a brisk boil for about for around 8 minutes, until they’re halfway cooked.
- Drain, leave to steam for a minute, then return to the pan. Add the flour and some salt and toss gently, trying not to break them up. Tip out onto baking tray, leave to cool completely, then freeze.
- Once ready to cook, heat the oven to 200°C and add the fat, or oil, to your largest baking tray, or two smaller ones – the potatoes must be able to cook in a single layer. Put the tray(s) in the oven for 6-7 minutes until the fat is smoking. Carefully tip the frozen potatoes into the tray, turning them to coat in the hot fat – be careful as the oil may spit.
- Season and roast in the oven for 60–75 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp on the outside and fluffy inside.
Once completely cooled, the potatoes can be bagged up and frozen for up to 1 month.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Make-ahead Christmas sides
Don't spend Christmas Day in the kitchen, use...
Roast potato recipes
Whether it's for your Sunday roast or Christmas...
New potato recipes
New potatoes, with their buttery texture, are delicious...
Christmas trimmings, sides and sauces
Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a feast of...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...