- October 2009
- Serves 2
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 5 mins cooking time
A simple French toast recipe; sliced white bread is dipped in a vanilla egg mix then fried, before dipping in sugar. A devilish breakfast or brunch recipe.
- 20.5g (9.4g saturated)
- 52.3g (27.6g sugars)
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 60ml full-fat milk
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 slices from a small white loaf, or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each large slice cut in half
- 25g butter, plus a drop of flavourless oil for frying
- 50g caster sugar
- Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide, shallow bowl. Soak the bread in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, and fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides. Put the sugar on a plate, then dip the cooked bread in it until it’s coated like a sugared doughnut.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chocolate-filled French toast
If you really want to treat your family, make them fingers of French toast sandwiched...