- October 2009
- Serves 2
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 5 mins cooking time
A simple French toast recipe; sliced white bread is dipped in a vanilla egg mix then fried, before dipping in sugar. A devilish breakfast or brunch recipe.
- 20.5g (9.4g saturated)
- 52.3g (27.6g sugars)
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 60ml full-fat milk
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 slices from a small white loaf, or 2 slices from a large white loaf, each large slice cut in half
- 25g butter, plus a drop of flavourless oil for frying
- 50g caster sugar
- Beat the eggs with the milk and vanilla in a wide, shallow bowl. Soak the bread in the eggy mixture for 5 minutes a side.
- Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, and fry the egg-soaked bread until golden and scorched in parts on both sides. Put the sugar on a plate, then dip the cooked bread in it until it’s coated like a sugared doughnut.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chocolate-filled French toast
If you really want to treat your family, make them fingers of French toast sandwiched...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...