Glazed gammon steaks with scrambled eggs and chicory salad
- April 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
Gammon makes a perfect midweek, cost-conscious supper and this recipe makes enough to make a leftover lunch for the next day.
- 38.6g (12.9g saturated)
- 6g (5.4g sugars)
For the main recipe
- ½-1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp fennel seeds, toasted in a dry pan
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 150g smoked streaky bacon, sliced
- 4 chicory, quartered
- 100g watercress, any thick stalks discarded (reserve a handful for lunch the next day)
- 5 unsmoked gammon steaks, rind snipped
- Knob of butter, melted, plus extra
- 1½ tbsp demerara sugar
- 5 large free-range eggs
- 3 tbsp double cream
- Preheat a griddle pan and the grill to high. Whisk the lemon juice, mustard, garlic and fennel seeds, then drizzle in some olive oil to make a dressing. Season and set aside.
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan over a medium heat until starting to crisp, then remove to a bowl (set aside one-third for the next day).
- Drizzle the chicory with oil and griddle for 3-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until beginning to soften. Remove and toss with the bacon, watercress and enough of the dressing to coat. (Set aside some of the chicory for the next day.)
- Brush the gammon steaks on both sides with some of the melted butter, sprinkle with the sugar, season and cook under the grill (with a tray underneath) for about 3 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness) until cooked and golden.
- Beat the eggs with the cream and some seasoning. Heat a little butter in the frying pan over a medium heat. Add the eggs to the pan and stir gently until just set. Serve 4 of the gammon steaks with the scrambled eggs and chicory salad.
Your next day lunch box: Cook 180g penne according to pack instructions. Slice the leftover gammon, then toss with the hot pasta along with the leftover chicory (halved), crisp bacon, black pepper and the leftover dressing. Spoon into plastic containers and chill. The next morning, add the rest of the watercress and some grated parmesan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cider and mustard glazed ham with dauphinois potatoes
Try MasterChef 2018 champion Kenny Tutt’s cider and mustard-glazed ham for a knockout alternative roast...