Gluten-free nutty chocolate traybake
- October 2010
- Makes 12 squares
- Takes 40 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
This gluten-free brownie recipe is made without butter or oil but don’t worry these chocolatey squares are still deliciously squidgy in the centre.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 8.9g (2.2g saturated)
- 12g (11.1g sugars)
- Vegetable oil for greasing
- 100g dark chocolate, broken into chunks
- 3 medium free-range eggs, separated
- 70g caster sugar
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 tsp fresh ground coffee
- 25g pecans, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a shallow 18cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Stir in the ground almonds, melted chocolate, coffee and pecans.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks, then fold one-third of them into the chocolate mixture to help loosen it. Carefully fold in the remaining egg whites, then pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until the surface is slightly springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin before cutting into 12 pieces.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
April seasonal recipes
Maple and rum baked bananas with toasted hazelnuts and pistachios
Bananas become soft and caramelised when baked in foil – add rum, maple syrup and...