Gnocchi with bacon, peas, spinach and mozzarella
- August 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Gnocchi simmered with peas, bacon and spinach makes an easy and delicious dinner for 4. Stir in mozzarella and serve with a crisp green salad.
Our favourite gnocchi recipes collection includes both quick dinner ideas and recipes for making gnocchi from scratch.
- 40.4g (20.2g saturated)
- 36.5g (4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g bacon lardons
- 400g gnocchi
- 200ml low-salt vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas
- 150g crème fraîche (use reduced-fat if you prefer)
- 100g young spinach
- Handful basil or oregano, roughly chopped
- 125g mozzarella
You’ll also need
- Large deep-sided frying/sauté pan (25-28cm)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large pan set over a low-medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove the onion/garlic onto a plate and set aside.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the bacon and fry for 5 minutes until crisp, then add the gnocchi and cook for 4-5 minutes more until starting to get some colour.
- Return the onion and garlic to the pan along with the vegetable stock and peas. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until the gnocchi are tender.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and warm through over the heat until the sauce thickens slightly. Add the spinach and basil/oregano, stir until the leaves wilt, then dot over the mozzarella and season well with salt and black pepper. Serve with crusty bread and a big green salad on the side, if you like.
Easy swaps: Switch out the spinach for other leafy greens like chard, watercress or rocket. Leave out the bacon to make it veggie.
Flavour boost: Add a generous splash of dry white wine or cider vinegar to the pan before adding the stock, then let it reduce a little before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
Baked gnocchi with cream, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce
This recipe of soft, pillowy gnocchi baked in a creamy blue cheese mushroom sauce is...