Gnocchi with bacon, peas, spinach and mozzarella
- August 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Gnocchi simmered with peas, bacon and spinach makes an easy and delicious dinner for 4. Stir in mozzarella and serve with a crisp green salad.
Our favourite gnocchi recipes collection includes both quick dinner ideas and recipes for making gnocchi from scratch.
- 40.4g (20.2g saturated)
- 36.5g (4g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200g bacon lardons
- 400g gnocchi
- 200ml low-salt vegetable stock
- 100g frozen peas
- 150g crème fraîche (use reduced-fat if you prefer)
- 100g young spinach
- Handful basil or oregano, roughly chopped
- 125g mozzarella
You’ll also need
- Large deep-sided frying/sauté pan (25-28cm)
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large pan set over a low-medium heat and cook the onion for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove the onion/garlic onto a plate and set aside.
- Turn up the heat to medium and add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the bacon and fry for 5 minutes until crisp, then add the gnocchi and cook for 4-5 minutes more until starting to get some colour.
- Return the onion and garlic to the pan along with the vegetable stock and peas. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5-7 minutes until the gnocchi are tender.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and warm through over the heat until the sauce thickens slightly. Add the spinach and basil/oregano, stir until the leaves wilt, then dot over the mozzarella and season well with salt and black pepper. Serve with crusty bread and a big green salad on the side, if you like.
Easy swaps: Switch out the spinach for other leafy greens like chard, watercress or rocket. Leave out the bacon to make it veggie.
Flavour boost: Add a generous splash of dry white wine or cider vinegar to the pan before adding the stock, then let it reduce a little before adding the rest of the ingredients.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
Baked gnocchi with cream, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce
This recipe of soft, pillowy gnocchi baked in a creamy blue cheese mushroom sauce is...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...