Greek-style giant baked beans
- May 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, oven time 20 min
”This is a hearty Greek baked-bean dish that I often make in big batches for work. I love the earthy herbs and greens, and the sweetness from the honey and cinnamon brings a soothing, homely element to the meal. Eating it the next day lets the flavours mingle and develop even more.” – Rupy Aujla
This recipe is from The Doctor’s Kitchen: Eat to Beat Illness by Rupy Aujla (RRP £16.99 Harper Collins).
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.1g (0.9g saturated)
- 16.6g (8.5g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 150g chard, spinach or spring greens, finely chopped
- 400g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed (or 250g dried beans, soaked and boiled; see pack instructions)
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- 1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 10g fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves and stalks finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof frying pan or casserole over a medium heat. Add the onion with plenty of salt and pepper, then cook for 2-3 minutes until softened (see tips). Toss in the greens and cook for another 3-4 minutes, then add the beans, tomatoes, honey, chilli, cinnamon and oregano and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until the edges brown and the flavours intensify (if you don’t have an ovenproof frying pan or casserole, just transfer the mixture to a baking dish).
- Remove from the oven, scatter over the parsley and serve (see tips).
Try serving this with some simple baked or pan-fried white fish. If you’re not
a vegetarian, add an anchovy fillet to the pan with the onion for extra savoury, salty flavour.
Leftovers will keep covered in the fridge for a day or two. Heat through until piping hot to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Midweek meal recipes
Chicken and butter beans in a tomato, courgette and pepper sauce
Create this simple dish of chicken and butter beans in a tomato, courgette and pepper...