Grilled goat’s cheese salad with honey dressing
- May/June 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus grilling and marinating
This super speedy and easy grilled goat’s cheese salad is inspired by the classic. The warm honey dressing brings sweetness, while the quick pickled onions and pecans provide tang and texture.
Consider our roast beetroot, hazlenut, and goat’s cheese recipe for another twist on this classic starter.
- 30.5g (12.7g saturated)
- 4g (15.2g sugars)
- 50g pecans, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8 fresh baguette slices (or use part-baked, cooked according to the pack instructions)
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 x 125g goat’s cheese logs (veggie if need be), cut into 8 thick slices
- ¼ tsp pink peppercorns, crushed (or use ground black pepper)
- 100g mixed salad leaves
- Handful freshly picked herbs (we used tarragon and flatleaf parsley)
- Put the pecans in a small pan over a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of the honey and a pinch of salt. Let the honey heat and bubble, shaking the pan from time to time, for 4-5 minutes or until the pecans are browned and glazed with the honey. Transfer to a sheet of compostable baking paper, then leave to set.
- Put the onion slices in a ceramic or glass bowl with the vinegar, sugar and a good pinch of salt, then stir well. Set aside for 15 minutes, then drain, reserving the juices and onions separately.
- Heat the grill to high and line the grill pan with foil. Lightly brush one side of the bread with a little olive oil, then grill, oiled side up, for 1-2 minutes until lightly toasted. Turn the slices over so the charred side is now underneath and top with a slice of goat’s cheese, then season with the crushed pepper.
- Grill for 1-2 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tbsp honey in a small saucepan until just simmering. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Put the salad leaves, herbs, pickled onion slices and pecans in a mixing bowl. Toss with the reserved juices and remaining oil, stirring to combine. Divide between 4 plates, top with the cheese toasts, then immediately drizzle with the warm honey and serve straightaway.
Prepare the salad to the end of step 3 up to 2 hours ahead. Finish the recipe to serve.
Rate & review