Grilled mackerel with herb yogurt and pearl barley
- September 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on. time 30 min, simmering time 40-50 min
Great-tasting and fuss-free, this grilled mackerel with herby yogurt and pearl barley makes a delicious midweek meal. It’ll give you an omega-3 boost, too.
Not quite what you’re looking for? How about grilled mackerel with green bean, olive and tomato pesto salad?
- 38.7g (9.9g saturates)
- 75.3g (5g sugars)
- 350g pearl barley (see tips)
- Small handful each fresh coriander and mint, chopped
- 4 whole fresh mackerel, butterflied (ask your fishmonger), or 8 fresh mackerel fillets
- 200g fine green beans
- 2 tsp nigella seeds
- 350g natural yogurt
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cucumber, cut into finger-size slices
- ½ bunch spring onions, sliced
- Cook the pearl barley in lightly salted boiling water according to the pack instructions (40-50 minutes, or see tip), then drain and set aside to cool slightly. Season well, then toss with half the herbs.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to medium-high. Grill the mackerel skin-side up on a foil-lined baking sheet for 8-10 minutes until the skin is crisp and the flesh is opaque.
- Cook the fine beans in boiling salted water for 3 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold water to refresh.
- In a bowl, mix together the nigella seeds, yogurt, remaining herbs, lemon zest and juice and most of the olive oil.
- Divide the cooked barley among 4 plates, top with the mackerel, green beans, cucumber and spring onions. Squeeze over the lemon wedges, then serve with the yogurt dressing on the side (see tips).
Speed up this recipe by using two 250g pouches of ready-to-eat mixed grains instead.
You’ll have yogurt dressing left over. Cover and keep chilled for up to 3 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner ideas
Grilled mackerel with orange and basil-dressed pepper salad
Omega 3-rich fresh mackerel pairs perfectly with zingy orange and sweet peppers in this 20-minute...
Grilled mackerel with green bean, olive and tomato pesto salad
Enjoy a fuss free light supper with this grilled mackerel and Italian salad recipe.