Grilled mackerel with raisin and herb couscous
- February 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
The richness of the grilled mackerel in this recipe works perfectly with the sweet flavours of the pine nuts and raisins in the couscous.
Or, try this mackerel and couscous recipe, which brings the same sort of flavours to life but using smoked mackerel.
- 35.1g (5.7g saturated)
- 46.4g (9.7g sugars)
- 4-8 sustainable fresh mackerel fillets (depending on your appetite) or 4 whole mackerel, butterflied – ask your fishmonger to do this for you
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 200g couscous
- 3 tbsp pine nuts (see Tips)
- 3 tbsp raisins (see Tips)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh soft herbs – we used a mix of parsley and dill
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
You’ll also need
- Foil-lined baking sheet
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Rub the mackerel skin with 1 tbsp oil, then arrange skin-side up on the prepared baking sheet. Grill for 8-10 minutes until the skin is crisp and the flesh is opaque.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous in a heatproof bowl with 1 tbsp oil and some salt and pepper. Pour over just enough freshly boiled water to cover, then stir with a fork. Cover with an upturned plate and set aside for 5 minutes for the couscous to cook in the hot water.
- Toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan until golden, then add to the cooked couscous with the raisins, spring onions, most of the herbs, the lemon juice and remaining oil. Season and stir with a fork to mix everything and fluff up the couscous.
- Divide the couscous among 4 plates or pile onto a platter, then top with the mackerel. Scatter over the remaining herbs and the lemon zest.
Use any nuts you like in place of pine nuts. If you don’t like raisins, use the same amount of chopped dried apricots.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter