Grilled mango chicken with lentils and yogurt
- April 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
This quick mango chicken curry recipe with lentils, tomatoes, yogurt and fruity mango chutney is really easy to throw together on a weeknight when a curry craving hits…
Or, try this fruity chicken curry traybake with rice and naan.
- 7.5g (1.4g saturated)
- 49.7g (15.5g sugars)
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 30g fresh ginger, grated
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250g split red lentils
- 4 tbsp mango chutney, plus extra to serve
- 4 small free-range chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp natural yogurt, plus extra to serve
- Coriander sprigs and lime wedges to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low-medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Stir in both seeds and the ginger. Cook for another 2 minutes, then add the tin of tomatoes, the lentils and 600ml cold water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 20-25 minutes until the lentils are soft. Stir in 1 tbsp mango chutney, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill (or a griddle pan) to medium-high. Put the chicken in a bowl, then mix with the yogurt and the rest of the mango chutney. Grill/griddle for 12-15 minutes until starting to char, then turn and cook for 5 minutes more or until completely cooked through. Set aside to rest.
- Slice the grilled chicken and serve with the lentils, topped with coriander sprigs, with lime wedges on the side, plus extra mango chutney and yogurt.
Easy swaps: For a veggie version, swap chicken for chunky pieces of cauliflower.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sticky mango chicken
This sticky mango chicken recipe is full of flavour and so quick and easy to...
Tandoori chicken with mango raita
Try this classic Indian dish of tandoori chicken with the delicious mango raita – yum!