Fried halloumi with warm harissa, rice and chickpea salad
- November 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Warm harissa works wonderfully with halloumi, chickpeas and rice in this salad recipe – a tasty, balanced and filling meal that can be on the table in 15 minutes.
This halloumi with bulgur wheat recipe is quite similar.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20g (10g saturated)
- 39.7g (2.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250g halloumi, drained and sliced into even pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra drizzle
- 1 tbsp harissa spice mix
- Small bunch spring onions, sliced
- 250g pouch cooked basmati rice (we used Tilda)
- 400g tin cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 4 tbsp full-fat natural yogurt, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- Put the flour on a large plate and season with salt and pepper. Toss the halloumi in the flour to coat, shaking off any excess.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the harissa spice mix and spring onions and fry until soft. Add the rice pouch and chickpeas, breaking up the rice with a wooden spoon, then cook for 3 minutes until the rice is piping hot. Remove the pan from the heat and toss through most of the parsley with the lemon juice, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, shallow frying pan and fry the halloumi until golden on both sides (you may need to do this in batches). Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Pile the rice and chickpea salad onto 4 serving plates, then top each with halloumi, a dollop of the seasoned yogurt, parsley and a lemon wedge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy warm roast cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa salad
Make the most of winter vegetables in this warming cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa recipe....
Christmas starter recipes
Herbed lentil and beetroot ‘couscous’ with halloumi
This colourful and herby vegetarian dish is healthy, filling and tastes great too. The beetroot...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...