Fried halloumi with warm harissa, rice and chickpea salad
- November 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Warm harissa works wonderfully with halloumi, chickpeas and rice in this salad recipe – a tasty, balanced and filling meal that can be on the table in 15 minutes.
This halloumi with bulgur wheat recipe is quite similar.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20g (10g saturated)
- 39.7g (2.9g sugars)
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250g halloumi, drained and sliced into even pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra drizzle
- 1 tbsp harissa spice mix
- Small bunch spring onions, sliced
- 250g pouch cooked basmati rice (we used Tilda)
- 400g tin cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 bunch flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Juice 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 4 tbsp full-fat natural yogurt, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- Put the flour on a large plate and season with salt and pepper. Toss the halloumi in the flour to coat, shaking off any excess.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the harissa spice mix and spring onions and fry until soft. Add the rice pouch and chickpeas, breaking up the rice with a wooden spoon, then cook for 3 minutes until the rice is piping hot. Remove the pan from the heat and toss through most of the parsley with the lemon juice, salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a large, shallow frying pan and fry the halloumi until golden on both sides (you may need to do this in batches). Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Pile the rice and chickpea salad onto 4 serving plates, then top each with halloumi, a dollop of the seasoned yogurt, parsley and a lemon wedge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy warm roast cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa salad
Make the most of winter vegetables in this warming cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa recipe....