Cauliflower and macaroni cheese
- April 2008
- Serves 5
- Takes 20 minutes to make and 20-25 minutes to bake
This macaroni cheese recipe with a twist is an inspirational vegetarian dish for even the most ardent meat lover. The crunchy tomato top and the smooth cheese sauce pair together so luxuriously – you’ll definitely be having seconds, and thirds…
- 30.6g (15.5g saturated)
- 77.1g (15.8g sugars)
- 200g dried macaroni
- 300g cauliflower, broken into florets
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 50g mature vegetarian Cheddar
- or Lancashire cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 25g vegetarian Parmesan, grated
- Bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs
- Leaves from 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra sprigs, to garnish
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/ gas 6. Cook the pasta in boiling water for 3 minutes, then add the cauliflower and cook for a further 3 minutes. Drain and return to the pan.
- Melt the butter in a medium pan. Beat in the flour until a smooth paste. Remove from the heat and gradually beat in the milk until smooth. Return to the heat and bring to a simmer, stirring, until thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Stir the Cheddar, mustard and half of the Parmesan into the sauce and season well. Pour over the macaroni and cauliflower and fold in the onions. Spoon into a 2-litre ovenproof dish and arrange the tomatoes over the top.
- Mix the breadcrumbs with the thyme and remaining Parmesan. Sprinkle over the top and drizzle with the extra-virgin olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden and crusty and the filling is bubbling. Stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Rate & review