Italian bean casserole
- February 2007
- Serves 8
- Ready in just over 1 hour
This vegetarian Italian bean casserole recipe is made with two different types of beans: borlotti and cannellini.
Prefer butter beans? Then you’ll love our vegetarian butter bean and vegetable stew.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.1g (0.8g saturated)
- 23.4g (10.1g sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 celery sticks, roughly diced
- 4 medium carrots, roughly diced
- 3 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml white wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- About 700ml vegetable stock, hot
- 410g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Small handful fresh oregano or fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or saucepan over a medium heat. Add the celery and carrots and cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes. Add the leeks, cook for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the garlic and wine. Let the wine cook out and reduce for a few minutes.
- Tip in the tomatoes and lemon zest and season well. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then simmer fairly rapidly for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the vegetables are just tender and the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the beans (add a dash of hot water, if necessary) and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the oregano or thyme and the lemon juice. It’s worth re-checking the seasoning now. Spoon the casserole into bowls and garnish with fresh oregano or thyme leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Borlotti and runner beans with sage, tomato and garlic
Completely vegetarian, completely gluten free, completely scrumptious – a great summery stew that you can...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...