Italian bean casserole
- February 2007
- Serves 8
- Ready in just over 1 hour
This vegetarian Italian bean casserole recipe is made with two different types of beans: borlotti and cannellini.
Prefer butter beans? Then you’ll love our vegetarian butter bean and vegetable stew.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 5.1g (0.8g saturated)
- 23.4g (10.1g sugar)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 celery sticks, roughly diced
- 4 medium carrots, roughly diced
- 3 leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100ml white wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- About 700ml vegetable stock, hot
- 410g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Small handful fresh oregano or fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped, plus extra whole leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large casserole or saucepan over a medium heat. Add the celery and carrots and cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes. Add the leeks, cook for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the garlic and wine. Let the wine cook out and reduce for a few minutes.
- Tip in the tomatoes and lemon zest and season well. Add the stock, bring to the boil, then simmer fairly rapidly for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally or until the vegetables are just tender and the liquid has reduced and thickened.
- Stir in the beans (add a dash of hot water, if necessary) and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the oregano or thyme and the lemon juice. It’s worth re-checking the seasoning now. Spoon the casserole into bowls and garnish with fresh oregano or thyme leaves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Borlotti and runner beans with sage, tomato and garlic
Completely vegetarian, completely gluten free, completely scrumptious – a great summery stew that you can...
Quick squash, kale and butter bean stew
Try our healthy, vegetarian stew recipe – it makes a warming midweek meal and it’s...