Italian bean salad
- July 2004
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 30 mins
This refreshing Italian bean salad recipe is vegetarian and dairy free and is the perfect accompaniment for a summer barbecue.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 7 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 plump garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 410g can borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 plump tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion, garlic, celery and red chilli gently over a low heat for 6-8 minutes until softened. Stir in the oregano and all the beans and heat gently for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Stir in the tomatoes and parsley. Whisk the remaining olive oil with the lemon juice and season well. Just before serving, pour over the bean mixture and toss well.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Warm pesto, chickpea and butter bean salad with halloumi
A quick 15-minute dinner has never looked so good. This filling salad is made with...
Avocado, pomegranate and bean salad with hazelnut dressing
A simple side salad recipe for gatherings of friends or family. The salad, with a...