Lamb chops with spiced split peas and caramelised onions
- November 2009
- 350g yellow split peas, rinsed
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 250ml natural yogurt
- Bunch fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 lamb loin chops, seasoned
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 4 tbsp mango chutney
- Add the split peas to a large pan of water, bring to the boil then simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, toast the cumin seeds in a frying pan for 1 minute until fragrant. Drain the split peas and stir in the yogurt, cumin seeds, coriander and some seasoning. Keep warm.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the chops (in batches if need be) and fry for 4 minutes each side. Remove from the pan and rest.
- Add the remaining oil and onion to the pan, and soften over a medium-low heat for 8 minutes until starting to colour, then turn up the heat, add the chutney, and allow to caramelise.
- Serve the split peas with the chops, and top with the caramelised onions.
Use green lentils instead of the yellow split peas if that’s all you have in store.
Rate & review