Lamb’s kidney and mushroom salad
- October 2011
- 2 large or 3 small lamb’s kidneys
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 100g mixed autumn mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- 4 handfuls of a selection of lettuce and rocket leaves
For the dressing
- 1½ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl or jar, season and set aside.
- Using a sharp knife or kitchen scissors, remove the skin and fatty membrane from the centre of the kidneys, then cut into 1-2cm cubes.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, season and cook, stirring now and then, for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the tarragon, then remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and, when hot, add the kidneys. Season, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes until golden brown on the outside but still slightly pink in the centre. Add the pink peppercorns for the last few seconds, then remove everything to the plate with the mushrooms.
- Toss the salad leaves in just enough dressing to lightly coat, then divide among plates. Spoon over the mushrooms and kidneys, then serve immediately.
Rate & review