Lamb meatballs and curried lentils
- May 2022
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus simmering time 10 min.
Get out of a midweek meal rut by dishing up filling bowls of delicious lamb meatballs with a coconut, lime and curried lentil broth.
Looking for a plant-based lentil dish? Try our curried lentil soup with kale and almond topping.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 41.9g (23g saturated)
- 38.5g (7.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 20 lamb meatballs (see Tips)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 tbsp tikka masala curry paste
- 2 x 400g tinned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 400ml tin coconut milk
- Finely grated zest and juice 1 lime, plus wedges to serve
- 100g baby leaf spinach (see Tips)
- Chopped cucumber, coriander, mint, sliced chilli and yogurt (dairy free if needs be) to serve
- Warm naan, roti or paratha to serve
- Mix the flour and curry powder in a shallow bowl. Add the meatballs and toss to coat. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Fry the meatballs, turning regularly, for 5-6 minutes until browned and cooked through. Set aside on a plate and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in the pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and ginger, then cook, stirring, for 10 minutes until softened and turning golden. Add the curry paste and cook for another minute until fragrant, then stir in the lentils, coconut milk and lime zest. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
- Return the meatballs to the pan, along with the spinach, then cook for another minute or so until the spinach is wilted and the meatballs are warmed through. Season with the lime juice, and more salt and pepper. Serve with chopped cucumber, fresh herbs, sliced chilli and yogurt, with extra lime wedges and warmed bread on the side.
Swap the lamb meatballs for beef, pork or chicken if you like, or make your own. Swap the spinach for any frozen vegetables you prefer.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lentils come loaded with fibre and protein and...
Our meatball recipes aren't just about spaghetti (although...
On a budget? Whether you’re after cheap family...
Healthy budget recipes
Eating healthily on a budget can be challenging,...
Midweek meal recipes
Worked late? Need something not too challenging? Our...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...