Leftover chicken tagine
- May 2018
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 25 min
Turn chicken stew leftovers into this bejewelled pomegranate and preserved lemon tagine with just a few extra ingredients.
Add a nutty, fruity flavour to your stew with this chicken tagine with almonds and apricots.
- 12.8g (1.9g saturated)
- 77.5g (28.1g sugars)
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 cinnamon stick (or ¼ tsp ground cinnamon)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tbsp ras el hanout
- ⅓ quantity of chicken stew
- 1 preserved lemon, pulp discarded and skin finely sliced
- 75g dried apricots, chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 125g giant couscous
- 100g baby leaf spinach
To serve (optional)
- Handful shelled unsalted pistachios, toasted in a dry pan
- 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds
- Small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
You’ll also need…
- Large casserole with a lid
- Heat the olive oil in the casserole and add the cinnamon stick (or ground cinnamon), cumin and ras el hanout. Cook for 2-3 minutes until it smells fragrant, then stir in the quantity of chicken stew, preserved lemon, apricots and the chopped tomatoes. Fill the empty tomato tin with water and pour into the casserole. Stir, bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the giant couscous and simmer for another 8-10 minutes until tender. Remove the cinammon stick, if using. Add the baby leaf spinach and stir until wilted.
- Serve the tagine sprinkled with the pistachios, pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander, if you like.
If you can’t find giant couscous use regular instead, but reduce the simmering time to 2 minutes once it’s been added (step 2).
Leftovers will keep for 2-3 days in a sealed container in the fridge. Reheat until piping hot to serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken and preserved lemon tagine
This is one of the best known and loved tagines. Accompany with houmous, flatbread and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...