Lemon and oregano chickpeas with salmon, peas and rocket
- July 2014
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- A few fresh oregano sprigs
- 1 lemon
- 200g fresh peas (or frozen peas, defrosted)
- Several large handfuls wild rocket
- 200g hot-smoked salmon
- Tip the chickpeas and their liquid into a pan and warm through over a low heat. Meanwhile, heat the rapeseed oil in a second pan. Slice the garlic, then gently fry in the oil. Drain the chickpeas, then add to the pan with the oregano. Finely grate in the lemon zest.
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a bowl, then squeeze over the lemon juice and season well. When cooled to room temperature, gently mix in the peas and rocket, then flake in the salmon and serve.
Warming the chickpeas first makes them more tender and helps them absorb the flavours of the dressing.
To vary the recipe another time, cook and cool basmati rice, then stir through instead of the chickpeas.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fennel and smoked salmon salad with sourdough croutons
This quick and easy fennel and smoked salmon salad with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter