- June 2022
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 15 min
Pasta al limone is a classic Italian storecupboard dinner. The key players are anchovies, olives, lemons and stale bread, and it’s on the table in just 15 minutes.
Check out more of our most popular budget pasta recipes.
- 14.4g (5.8g saturated)
- 68.5g (2.6g sugars)
- 250g linguine (or another shape)
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 fat garlic cloves, finely sliced
- ½-1 red chilli (according to taste), seeds removed, finely chopped (or a pinch of chilli flakes)
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped (see Tips)
- 1 preserved lemon, skin finely chopped, pulp discarded (or grated zest 1 fresh lemon)
- 100g green pitted olives, roughly chopped
- 30g parmesan, grated, plus extra to serve
- Juice ½ lemon
For the pangrattato
- 50g stale bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Grated zest ½ lemon
- Large handful dill, roughly chopped
- For the pangrattato, whizz the bread in a small food processor to crumbs. Heat the 1 tbsp oil in a pan over a medium heat, then fry the crumbs, stirring often, for 5 minutes until crisp. Mix in the zest, most of the dill and a pinch of salt, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain, reserving 150ml of the cooking water.
- Wipe out the pasta pan and heat the 60ml oil over a medium heat. Fry the garlic, chilli and anchovies for 1 minute, then add the preserved lemon and olives and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Return the drained pasta to the pan, along with the parmesan and most of the reserved pasta water. Cook, stirring, until the pasta is coated in a light glossy sauce, adding more cooking water if needed. Season with the lemon juice, salt and more chilli as needed. Serve topped with the pangrattato and more parmesan, if you like.
EASY SWAPS To make this vegetarian, replace the anchovies with 1 tbsp capers and use an alternative veggie cheese.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Budget pasta recipes
Pasta is a great thrifty way to bulk...
On a budget? Whether you’re after cheap family...
Struggling to get your usual favourite foods, self-isolating,...
15-minute meal recipes
When 15 minutes is all you have, these...
Midweek meal recipes
Worked late? Need something not too challenging? Our...
Quick Italian midweek meal recipes
Bring Italy to your table. These Italian midweek...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...