Lemongrass lamb curry with onion pilau rice
- January 2012
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 British Lamb Leg Steaks with Lemongrass, Coriander and Lime Leaves (from Waitrose)
- 4 tbsp Rendang Curry Paste (we like Malay Taste paste from Waitrose and good delis)
- 165ml coconut milk (we like Blue Dragon)
- 280g packet quick-cook pilau rice (we like Veetee Dine In rice)
- Toasted flaked almonds and chopped fresh coriander to garnish
- Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft and beginning to crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Increase the heat and add another tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan. Sear the lamb steaks on each side for 1-2 minutes until browned, remove, then lower the heat.
- Add the rendang paste with a splash of the coconut milk and cook for 30 seconds. Return the lamb to the pan, along with the rest of the coconut milk and the flavourings from the lamb packet.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 4-5 minutes until just cooked. Meanwhile heat the rice according to the packet instructions and stir in the onion. Serve with the steaks and sauce, scattered with toasted almonds and coriander.
Use boned, diced chicken thighs or breasts instead of lamb leg steaks and cook for the same time.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter