Mackerel with marinated beetroot
- February 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook, plus cooling
Dhruv Baker’s recipe of filleted whole mackerel and marinated beetroot is fresh tasting, simple and delicious.
- 28.9g (11.2g saturated)
- 22.3g (13.1g sugar)
- 2 raw beetroot, sliced thinly on a mandoline
- 2 whole mackerel, filleted (you can ask your fishmonger to do this) and pin-boned
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200ml double cream
- 50g fresh horseradish, grated (or use English Provender Co Hot Horseradish, widely available)
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Small bunch of fresh dill to garnish
For the beetroot marinade
- 250ml ruby port
- 250ml malt vinegar
- 125g caster sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 10 black peppercorns
- Mix the marinade ingredients in a saucepan with 200ml water, then reduce by three-quarters over a medium heat. Cool slightly, then add the beetroot. Cool completely, then cover with cling film and chill in the fridge until needed.
- Cut each mackerel fillet into 3 pieces. Season, then heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry, skin-side down, for about 3 minutes. Turn over carefully and cook for a further minute or so. Place on kitchen roll to remove the excess oil, then set aside.
- Whisk the cream to soft peaks, then stir through the horseradish. Add the lemon juice, then season.
- To serve, remove the beetroot from the marinade and arrange on 4 serving plates. Add 3 pieces of mackerel per plate and top with a spoonful of the horseradish cream. Garnish with fresh dill and serve immediately.
There’ll be leftover horseradish cream. It will keep, chilled, for 3 days, as will the beetroot.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...