Marinated wensleydale tostadas
- September 2021
- Makes 15 tostadas
- Hands-on time 5 min, plus at least 3 days marinating
Learn how to marinate cheese with our easy marinated wensleydale tostadas recipe. Make the cheese several days ahead, then serve on crisp corn tortillas.
Looking for other delicious things to dish up on tostadas? Try our crab and avocado tostadas with jalapeño salsa verde.
- 10.9g (3.8g saturated)
- 18.7g (1.1g sugars)
- 200g wensleydale, cubed
- 1 fat chilli, deseeded, one half sliced into 3 long strips, and the other half chopped
- 2-3 marjoram/oregano sprigs or basil leaves
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp red bell pepper flakes (or chilli flakes for a bit of heat)
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 200-250ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 small corn tortillas (or use a cutter to stamp them out from 3-4 large tortillas)
- Olive oil for frying
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, halved, plus wedges
- 1 small red onion, sliced
You’ll also need
- Sterilised 400ml jam jar with a screw-top lid
- Put the cheese in the jar, tuck in the chilli strips and herb sprigs, then add the spices, chopped chilli and dried oregano. Pour in enough oil to cover the cheese. Tap the jar on the work surface to eliminate any air bubbles, then screw on the lid and turn the jar to mix the oil and flavourings. Set aside in a cool place like a pantry or the fridge for 3-7 days to marinate.
- To serve, fry the tortillas in a non-stick pan with a little oil, then set aside on kitchen paper to drain. Top each with a slice or two of avocado, crushed with a fork and seasoned with salt and a squeeze of lime juice. Add some cheese and sliced red onion, then drizzle with a little oil from the jar and serve with lime wedges. Use the remaining cheese in salads or stir into rice or pasta.
The marinated cheese will keep in the fridge for several months.
Make sure those containers and lids are squeaky clean, with our guide on how to sterilise jars
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Quick vegetarian recipes
Couscous and green bean salad with crumbled Wensleydale
Try this hearty dish of couscous and green bean salad...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter