Masala chicken (masala murg)
- August 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
Chetna Makan’s easy masala chicken recipe (masala murg) is packed with flavour. Coat chicken thighs in gram flour and spices, then pan fry.
Recipe taken from Chetna’s 30-Minute Indian (£20, Mitchell Beazley), out now.
- 11.9g (2g saturated)
- 8.2g (1.7g sugars)
- 50g gram flour (also known as besan/chickpea flour)
- 70ml natural yogurt
- ½ tsp black salt (kala namak)
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (or regular chilli powder to taste)
- 1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 4 boneless, skinless free-range chicken thighs, cut into 5cm pieces
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Heat a frying pan, add the flour and toast over a low heat for about 2 minutes or until it starts to change colour, stirring constantly.
- Put the toasted flour in a bowl with the yogurt, salt and spices and mix well. Add the chicken and turn in the mixture to coat well (see Make Ahead).
- Heat the oil in a pan. Carefully add the coated chicken pieces to the hot oil and cook over a medium to low heat for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway through, until golden and cooked through.
Chetna says: This chicken dish is flavourful enough to serve on its own, although it’s also great with my ginger and chilli chutney (part of this recipe for sour and spicy potatoes).
Prepare to the end of step 2 up to 12 hours ahead. Store covered in the fridge until ready to cook.
Black salt (kala namak) is a kiln-fired rock salt with a savoury, slightly sulphurous quality. Black salt is a key ingredient in many chaat masala recipes, where it provides a distinctive umami note. Substitute Himalayan rock salt or fine sea salt if you need to.
Kasuri methi (fenugreek leaves) are commonly sold dried and crushed. They have a slightly sweet and nutty flavour that’s a little like a cross between celery and maple syrup. Finding a suitable substitute is tricky, but they’re versatile.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Murgh Kali Mirch
This Murgh Kali Mirch recipe, or pepper chicken, is an Indian dish that is quick...